Teacher Assistant Tuition Reimbursement Program
Yadkin County Schools is proud to be a part of a tuition reimbursement program funded by the State of North Carolina. This program is designed to provide financial assistance for teacher assistants employed with the district that are enrolled in a teacher education program, starting in the 2018-2019 academic year, that leads to licensing as a classroom teacher. Up to five teacher assistants may receive an award of up to $4600 per academic year for a period of up to four years (pending recurring state funding availability).
What can the award be used for?
The cost of tuition and fees at an institution of higher education with an approved educator preparation program. A list of approved educator preparation programs can be found at http://www.ncpublicschools.org/epp/approved/
What are the requirements to be eligible to apply?
- Teacher Assistant shall be employed by Yadkin County Schools.
- Teacher Assistant shall be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education in North Carolina with an approved educator preparation program.
- Teacher Assistant must be a resident of the state of North Carolina.
How will the money be awarded?
- Money will be awarded each qualifying semester.
- Once a teacher has completed coursework for the qualifying semester they will submit a copy of their invoice and grades for the semester. Teacher Assistant must achieve grades of at least a “C” or higher to qualify for funding.
- Qualifying expenses will be reimbursed to the teacher up to a maximum of $4600 per academic year.
- Teacher Assistants who receive funding during an academic year and are making satisfactory progress towards achieving teacher licensure will be given priority for funding in subsequent years for a maximum of four years (pending recurring state funding availability).
How to apply?
- Complete an application form, with all required information. Applications should be submitted online here.
- Write a 1-2 page essay describing how you have added value to your current school as a teacher assistant, why you are pursuing a teaching degree, and what strengths you will bring to the teaching profession.
- Include a reference letter from your current principal.
- Complete the online application, submit both the essay and reference letter to Chris Lyon by November 16, 2018 (for Fall 2018 semester) or January 31, 2019 (for Spring 2019 semester).*Once approved for funding you do not have to reapply each semester.
Continuing Education Partnership Agreements
- Yadkin County has a partnership agreement with Queens University for discounted tuition for Yadkin County Schools employees. Please click the link below for more information.